Sunday, December 27, 2009

Looking Back-Primary Education for a Cowboy By J. Bryan Wasson

That part of my early education that I considered to be important did not come from within the walls of a conventional Schoolhouse. Well, sure I was exposed to the “three Rs”, known as “readin’, rightin’, and rithmitic.” Some how, I just was not very interested in such things. I doubt that much of it stuck.

The education that did stick with me and always seemed important, was acquired on a rather large campus. This campus was the stock yards at Abilene, Texas. Abilene, Texas was founded in March of 1881 due to the establishment of a rail head by the Texas and Pacific Railroad, known as the T & P. This new City was named after the Cattle town of Abilene, Kansas. It was believed that this new community would soon rival its’ Kansas namesake city as a cattle town. To a large extent, it did just that.

Now the Stock yards at Abilene were never as large as the famous and historic stock yards at Fort Worth, Texas, but they covered a good sized number of acres. The Abilene stock yards were headquarters for two livestock auctions, and at least two meat packing plants. The two livestock auction commission companies held their sales on alternate days so as not to be in direct competition. There were numerous livestock pens and connecting alley ways. What seemed like to a young boy were miles of elevated “cat walks” located above the pens and alley ways. These “cat walks” led from the livestock pens into the auction ring areas designed as a place for livestock bidders to sit. Potential buyers used these overhead walkways to inspect livestock prior to bidding as well as to locate animals they had purchased after the animals were removed from the sale ring.

These “cat walks” were an educational laboratory for me. I observed very closely the characteristics of the animals in the pens below me. I learned about various breeds of cattle as well as cross breads. I watched as mounted cowboys in the alley ways below moved cattle from pen to pen and into the auction ring. The sitting areas for the auction rings became my class room. These, however, were not my only class rooms.

The stock yards in Abilene stretched from about a hundred yards south of North Seventh Street to North Tenth Street on a gravel street that paralleled a railroad just east of the old city cemetery. I believe the name of this street was Almond. Along this gravel street that fronted the stock yards were a number of small buildings with adjoining corrals and pens. These small buildings served as office, tack room and feed room for a group of men who identified themselves as livestock dealers and horse traders. About the only difference I could tell between the livestock dealers and the horse traders was that as a general rule, the men who called themselves horse traders tended to limit their business to the equine variety. The men who called themselves, livestock dealers would buy, sell, and trade any kind of livestock from equine to bovine as well as swine, sheep and goats.

Much of the business of these men was outside the sale ring on sale days. If an interesting looking animal arriving in a trailer caught their attention, they would offer to buy or trade for the animal rather than sending it into the sale ring. This was at a time when many farmers were starting to replace their teams of horses and mules with tractors. Therefore many draft animals became the property of these horse traders and livestock dealers. The trade was not limited to draft horses and mules. Just about any and all types of horses showed up in their pens as well as a few donkeys.

Some of the horses were unbroken young horses and some were old spoiled outlaws. They all had one thing in common when they were offered for sale. They were all alleged to be as gentle as could be. It was also said they had been ridden by children. Being ridden by children was often the only true statement in the sales pitch. The fact that the animal had bucked off a few children was never mentioned. They often used the term, “kid broke” in describing these animals. I and others like me were the “kids” in the “kid broke” term. These livestock dealers and horse traders were always open for free labor to ride these horses, mules and donkeys.

My Daddy bought my first horse when I was in the 3rd grade. The mobility gained by my horse enabled me to go to this campus where I obtained my education very much at will. On most days, after school, weather permitting, I would saddle my horse and ride to the stockyards. I had a cousin who was a couple of years older than me who lived on the South side of Abilene on Pecan Street across the street from Thornton’s Livestock Auction, a smaller livestock auction. This livestock Auction was across the street south from Thornton’s Department Store. Behind Thornton’s Livestock Auction, lived two brothers who were friends of my cousin. My cousin and the two brothers often met me at the stock yards. Many times, however, I went alone. The three of us were often together on Saturdays. We would make long rides all over Abilene. We frequently rode in the island in the middle of Sayles Blvd. We often rode on paved streets in heavy traffic on half broken horses. I am not sure why we did not get killed or seriously injured. These rides did, however, have a positive effect on the gentling of these horses. When we got through with these animals, they could be ridden just about anywhere.

I would ride to the site of one of the horse trader/ livestock dealers where I would look over the equine critters in his pens. These men were always receptive to “free labor.” They were nearly always agreeable to my riding what ever animal I picked out. I had learned to look for saddle marks and collar marks. If an animal had collar marks and no saddle marks, I always viewed them with suspicion, but that did not mean I would not ride them. I was just a little more cautious. On occasion, just for the fun of it, I would mount a critter of the bovine variety.

I would tie my horse to the fence and then saddle and ride one of these “gentle kid broke" equines that would soon be for sale. If we planned to make a long ride, I would put my horse in one of the pens while I was riding a horse owned by one of the horse traders. Often these horses bucked and sometimes, I found myself on the ground as a result. The only time I was ever seriously afraid was an occasion when I chose to ride a surplus Army horse that the horse trader had purchased. The horse was a big bay gelding with a U.S. brand on his left shoulder. This horse ran away with me on Oak Street, a rather busy paved street with many cross streets that had stop signs. I was afraid of a car pulling out from one of these cross streets and hitting us. I also feared the shod horse might slip and fall on the paved street. There was also the fear of getting dragged off the horse by the many low hanging branches from trees that lined the street. I envisioned a number of ways that this ride could result in death or serious injury.

I just could not stop this horse so I decided to try the opposite approach. I started whipping him with the reins and kicking him in the ribs. He stopped just because he wanted to and when he wanted to. I may have fooled him into believing I wanted him to run further and faster, but the fact remains, he got his bluff in on me. I got off the horse and led him back the 15 blocks to the place where my cousin and the other two boys were waiting. I convinced them that it was time to change horses and someone else should ride this horse back to the stockyards.

Most of the time, my summers were spent with my grand parents who lived in the Truby community of Jones County. My horse often spent the summer with me at Truby. On occasions when my entire summer was not spent with my Grandparents, much of my time during the remainder of the summer vacation was spent at the stockyards.

My Daddy knew where I was going when I saddled my horse and headed for my school of cowboy education at the Abilene stockyards. I doubt, however, that he was fully aware of all the critters I mounted there. About all I allowed my mother to know about my activities was that I was off somewhere riding my horse.

The livestock auction barns and the meat packing plants have been gone for many years, however, many of the horse traders and live stock traders continued in business at the same sites along the graveled Almond street that once fronted the extremely busy stockyards for many years. As an adult, I still had a number of friends who were horse traders and livestock dealers in this same area. I often visited with them and sometimes bought, sold and traded livestock with them. It has been many years since I have visited this site, but I suspect you can still find a horse trader in the area. I also suspect that you can find an equine for sale that is alleged to be, “kid broke.”

I also suspect that the lessons I learned at this place have contributed greatly to my current medical condition and the fact that I am now disabled. No doubt, getting bucked off many horses over the years combined with many motorcycle accidents contributed greatly to all my current aches and pains. If I had it to do over again, I would still seek out the cowboy primary education that I obtained at the Stockyards in Abilene, Texas.


01-20-03, JBW

No comments:

Post a Comment